Wednesday, May 2, 2012

DIY Cascarones...Confetti Eggs

My favorite part of our school carnival (which was called Fiesta with Friends) was the cascarones, or confetti eggs.  Such a silly thing to sneak up behind your friends and crack a confetti-filled egg shell over their head, but it was insanely fun.  Probably because they spent the rest of the carnival picking confetti out of their hair.  Needless to say, I had to make them for our upcoming fiestas.

If you're not afraid of a mess, surprise your guests with these!

1.  Start with raw eggs.

2.  Drill a small hole in the eggs.  I tried to make sure my holes weren't larger than the top of the egg, but don't stress too much about the size as you'll be covering later.

3.  Drain eggs of whites and yolk.  Rinse out and let dry.

 4.  Next is the dying process.  If you've got Easter egg dye left over, use that.  If not, make your own dye.  I use 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 20 drops of food coloring.


 5.  Dunk eggs in dye until desired color is reached (the longer you leave eggs in, the darker they will be).


6.  Let eggs dry completely.

                                            

7.  Fill eggs with confetti.  I used the holes left in my 3-hole punch.  I filled the eggs about half-way.  Heck, if we are going to make a mess then I want to do it right.


8.  Using tissue paper, cut a circle slightly larger than your hole.  Then use your glue to attach tissue paper to egg.  !Bien!